H G Tut H C DT A F FB E P E Image Map

Monday, July 21, 2014

Getting to Know Me Blog Hop

This is my second post of three today
For the CDD CIULIP post, click HERE
For the CDD Sneak Peek Day 2, scroll up

I was tagged by the amazing Dr. Sonia of Cards, Crafts and Kids Projects to be part of this Blog Hop (with a difference) where we share a little about our work and our creative process. First of all, I can't tell you how honored I am to be tagged by Sonia. Not only is she a doctor and the mother of a sweet and talented crafter, Prisha, but she is a phenomenally gifted and amazing artist!! She is such an inspiration!! She tagged me in THIS post and if you aren't familiar with her work, I encourage you to visit her now – I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Her projects are innovative and her attention to detail is beyond compare. She is not only creative and amazing, but she is so generous to share her tips and tricks with detailed tutorials. She is simply the perfect blogger and I'm thankful to know her!! Thank you so much for tagging me, Sonia!!  Please visit her blog HERE.


First of all, a little background on me. I started seriously crafting about ten years ago. I made the  tough decision to leave a very stressful job to pursue a career path I had wanted to take for a long time so it was a bit of an uncertain time for me.


I have always loved crafts but never had the time to indulge. Then I watched some of the crafting shows that HGTV and DIY used to air and my crafting passion was ignited. I saw Tim Holtz on the Carol Duval show and fell in love with his crafty style!!


I soon became immersed in the world of crafting. I purchased a Cricut in 2010 and started making cards for friends and family. I saw a challenge online for Cricut cards and decided to start a blog and enter. So in March of 2011, A Mermaid's Crafts was born :)


What Am I Working On Right Now

I am working on several design team projects that I can't share yet, but will be able to in the near future :) I also have four upcoming blog hops and a guest design position that I'm really excited about.


Why do I create what I do?

I create because it is a release for me. It's what makes me happy, keeps me grounded, allows my creative spirit to flow. I can get lost in time working in my craft room.


I hope that what I create inspires others.


How does your creating process work?

Most of my current inspiration comes from my design teams and the projects I have to design for them. When I am struggling for ideas, I like to visit my favorite blogs and Pinterest for inspiration. If I'm really at a loss on what to create, I like to take a couple of days off where I don't even go in the craft room. I use nature and art and the real world to start my creative juices flowing again.


What is my Signature style?

My signature style is that I don't really have a signature style :) I try to dabble in a little bit of everything – mixed media, shabby chic, die cuts, stamping, stencils… I will try anything. What's that old saying..."Jack of all trades, master of none." ;) I have just started to get into coloring with Primsacolor pencils and am enjoying that. Here's a small sampling of different styles I've tried:

Mixed Media


Shabby Chic


Stamping


Stencling


Inking


Die Cutting




Cricut




How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I don't think that my work differs from others, really. I just try to create projects that make me happy and hope that others like it as well.


I have tagged three friends who will share their post with you this coming Monday. The hardest thing about this is narrowing my list to three, because I love all of my friends/followers. I decided on these three because not only are they three of my oldest friends who have been with me from the very beginning of my blogging journey, they are three amazing crafters, but even more amazing friends. I am so lucky to know them and am so thankful for them!! I hope you will visit each one, let them know I sent you. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.


I don't have enough adjectives to describe Karen. Everyone needs someone they can turn to when they have a crafty question, when they need help deciding between patterned paper or cardstock, crinkle ribbon or organza...Karen is that person for me and so much more. I also turn to her when I have questions about life and God and his meaning for us. She is simply my rock. When I am down, she lifts me up. When I confused, she is my confidant. I am so blessed to have her in my life. I sometimes think my reasons for becoming involved in the blogging world were so that we could cross paths. And wow, is she talented!! Amazingly so!! She has a true gift for making projects that touch your heart. Please visit here HERE.



My co-hostess at Decorate to Celebrate, Rhonda is one of the sweetest people in blogland!! There aren't many people who can look at a cereal box or a paper plate or a pringles can and turn it into a work of art. Rhonda can!! Her projects constantly blow me away with her creativity. And not only that, she is the queen of mini-books!! If you have been lucky enough to win one of her books from a DTC challenge, you know what I'm talking about. The details and designs of her minis are incomparable. And she generously makes and mails the minis at her own cost. Please stop by her blog HERE.


Diana of DL.Art

Diana is one of my oldest and dearest friends in blogland!! She is a true artist in every sense of the word. Everything she creates is unique and beautiful and truly inspirational!! But not only is she a gifted crafter, she is the most generous blogger I know. She offers several linky parties a month and has numerous giveaways throughout the year, all at her own expense. She and I have discussions before over the circle of life, of which I am a firm believer. Never take more than you give. Diana is so far over on the positive side of this...she gives way more than she takes. Please visit her blog HERE.


If you've come this far, thank you so much for sticking around!! I hope you will visit Sonia, Karen, Rhonda and Diana!! And thank you again Sonia for tagging me!!

28 comments:

Kathy Salido said...

Oh Lisa, you have inspired me ever since I happened upon your blog. You are so very creative and talented, and thanks to you, I am now obsessed with Prima Doll Stamps!! Have a great day my friend :)

Creations by Shirl said...

Lots going on here, love all the showcasings.. I'm happy that everyone inspires everyone else's creations. It's always a pleasure to see and check out how creative all the crafter's are in blog land. Great job on being tagged and vice a versa. Keep up your amazing talents Lisa!

scraphappenswithrhonda said...

thank you dear friend I think you are amazing. hugs

snappy scrappy said...

I think you are amazing!!!

I'm a Little Teapot said...

That is an awesome write-up, Lisa. Thanks for showing some of your favorite style projects and telling us more about yourself. It must have been a tough choice to leave a stressful career to move on to something new...but it sounds like you are happy and your art is so inspiring.

Thanks for sharing!

Dr Sonia S V said...

Oh WOW Lisa...I am so touched to read what you wrote about me and even more amazed to read about you...It was fantastic seeing so many beautiful projects of yours in one blog post...I must confess I have spy several I have missed! I love Karen, Rhonda's and Diana's work and it is so heartwarming to read about your friendship with them.
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts Kids Projects

DIANA L. said...

Wow!! what a great post Lisa !! Such an awesome collection of a sampling of your work. I remember all of them!!! I am visual like that-- I am honored that you tagged me and I look forward to many more years of our friendship. You could not have picked 2 sweeter blogger friends to pair me up with.
You truly are inspiring BIG HUGS DIANA L.

Radhika said...

Enjoyed reading your post Lisa and story behind crafting career.. wow so many lovely projects ..as am a new follower I missed all your creations but from now will not miss your creations.. :)

Mulberry Mindy said...

Lisa, it was so nice to read this post, and hear your story. I learned new things about you that I didn't know, and enjoyed reading and visiting with the other ladies, too. I just wanted to let you know that you are one of my inspirations, and with your help I wouldn't be doing some of the things I do now! Blessings to you, my friend.

Beebeebabs said...

Beautiful projects - love them all thanks for sharing!!!

MiamiKel said...

Beautiful, LIsa! I'm always in awe of your artwork :) I was tagged a month ago but sadly didn't have the time to commit to getting this together - but so glad you did!! I love what you do! ♥

Hussena said...

Its so great to get to know a little more about you Lisa ..All your work is so beautiful ...i really liked each of the projects you have showcased here! ..You really are so gifted :)..I am definitely checking out your three friends blog too ;)

Tanya~Studio 5380 said...

I have been a long time fan of your amazing work my friend. I have to differ with you one one comment you made - I think you are a MASTER at pretty much any style you put your hand to. Your work always leaves me amazed, inspired and envious of your talent (lol...just being honest here). You are also a wonderful blogging friend, never failing to make me feel wonderful after one of your sweet comments. I love our visits and look forward to many, many more ♥

SD pooja said...

Wow ! A post full of beautiful creations...!! Wonderful to read about you and I agree what ever you have said about Dr.Sonia ! As a new follower I have lot to explore on your blog :)

Karen said...

My sweetest friend, want to know a secret? I'm bookmarking this post. It is filled with so many of my favorite creations from you, which always inspire my heart. When I'm in crafty no-man's land, I can come here and be filled with the utmost joy. Not only that, but it is also filled with so much of you. Your crafty journey thus far, what inspires you, and what makes your incredible creations 100% YOU! :o) Everything about this just fills me with warm fuzzies. It's like the sparkliest of hugs. You posted so many projects, each one unbelievably creative. Each one stunning in so many facets. I am so thankful for your gift, as it forever touches my heart. :o)

And I must also thank you for the sweet words... I (of all people) am feeling speechless. :o) I treasure our sparkling friendship like the rare gem that it is. You are such an important part of my life and nothing would feel right without you in it. :o) I'm sending you the sparkliest, sunshiest, and lovingest (totally made that up for you) hugs tonight, my dear Lisa! I will trust that you can feel what my heart can't figure out how to say. :o) I am SO thankful for you! :o)

Hugs and blessings,
Karen

yyam said...

It's so nice to get to know about your background in art. LOVE everything that you do. And your tagged friends sound so lovely too. Glad this whole art blogging journey has been rewarding for you.

Diane said...

I loved this post!!! It's funny but we all leave nice comments, but you don't always 'know" the person, but this post introduced us all to who you really are and I always knew you had to be a really, sweet and nice person, you always have something good to say....I think this is such a wonderful idea and I loved, loved reading this, I feel I really know the real you now...I love your blog and I most definitely LOVE your work...you have found your passion in life that is for sure ...you are amazing my friend, and I am glad we crossed paths!!!

Donna K said...

What a wonderful post, Lisa. I am such a fan of your work and always in awe of how every single project you create. I am happy that after such a hectic summer and being "off track" with my blog visiting that I popped on here today to see this post. "Jack of all trades and inspiration to ALL" Thanks for sharing your passion for creating.

VanessaB said...

what a fantastic post! I enjoyed reading it/admiring it. Carol Duvall.. i remember that show! Although you use many medias, you do have a signature style... it's called amazing! ;) when i'm scrolling down my blog list or bloglovin, i know your post before i see your name. you are so talented. i don't even visit for inspiration as i know i'd never be able to do what you do, but i come to admire and appreciate your beautiful art. :)

Mayras Designs said...

I think this is a wonderful post Lisa !!!! I am always amazed by the range of projects and the uniqueness of each one . You are truly a talented and gifted person !!! I am so happy and honored to be on a design team with you and to be able to see your wonderful creations as a follower !!!
Hugs,
Mayra

jessica said...

You are truly an AWESOME inspiration to us ALL!!! I am such a HUGE fan of all your work!
Your talents are one of a kind my friend!!
Thanks for sharing!!!!

Nana said...

What a wonderful post Lisa. I have followed you from my start in blogging. I find such joy and inspiration on visiting you blog. Your creations are a true work of art and always bring a smile to my face. You are also the most committed blogger I know. No matter how busy you are you always manage to take time to visit other blogger and leave the most encouraging comments. You are appreciated and loved my friend.
Have a creative day.

Hugs Nana
♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
♥ Nana's Rag Quilts ♥
♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

Jean Bullock said...

When I saw all your gorgeous samples, i remembered why I follow your blog. I follow because you are enormously gifted, creative, versatile and inspirational.

Migdalia said...

OMG!! Such a BEAUTIFUL post!!! This is why I visit you on every post. Your creativity is so different on every project!! I never know what you are going to create. You even use the Cricut. LOL! Viewing all of your projects, I do not have a favorite one ( maybe my birthday card) because they are all AMAZING!! You gave me the name "M", and now followers call me that. LOL! And I call you FABULOUS!! You know you are!! your comments or beautiful words always inspire me, makes me smile and laugh and sometimes cry...but happy tears of course!!
You are Unique, Creative, Inspirational, Humble( this is huge in my heart), and such a Fun person. You are just YOU!! I Always appreciate that in a persona and bloggie friend. Not a follower but a bloggie friend!! LOL
Sending you TONS of my love and hugs and ALWAYS blessings,
M'
*Crafting With Creative M*

Karon said...

Lisa, what a wonderful post, Love all the details you have share. I would say, "Jack if all trades, master of many!" Thank you for following along on my vacation, faces and all :-) And thank you for being here to share all your wonderful inspiration!

Brenda said...

Gosh Lisa, I didn't know Tim Holtz was on the Carol Duvall show!!! I must have missed that one and I didn't think I missed any. lol You've got some pretty amazing projects on here and you are an amazing crafter! I love all your styles and everything you do. You put your heart and soul into a project and it shows. Yes, I'm a huge fan of your. Hugs, Brenda

Norma said...

OMG! we started blogging around the same year:) Oh my dear friend this was such a sweet post and enjoyed reading everything and OMG! all your projects are amazing and are always inspiring. I can't wait to catch up and read all the other lovely ladies post. Thank you for sharing and always inspiring us with all your amazing talent!!
Big hugs
Norma

Kate said...

Lisa, what a delight to read more about you and to see so many of your wonderful projects! Your work is always such an inspiration to me. You've got a natural talent and a wonderful heart as well. Thanks so much for sharing your work and more about you!! xox

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...